Over the past week, DC has had its first proper cold snap. It’s refreshing to me, as winter is my favorite season, bar none. DC isn’t noted for its winters – save for January 2003 (when I first moved here) and the winter of 2009-2010 (the season of “Snowpocalypse,” “Snowmageddon,” and “SnOMG”/”Snoverkill”), I haven’t seen any real winter weather around here.
I still embrace winter as much as possible, given the limitations. That’s why I go ice skating at DC’s outdoor rinks, skiing at the nearby molehills, and chuckle at how under-prepared most DC locals are for true cold weather (any culture that dresses in full winter coats once the temperatures dip below 55 degrees is, well, a bit unclear on the concept of legitimately cold weather).
Let’s see how this winter unfolds. It may be grand in terms of snow. It may be another letdown. But it’ll be winter, and that’s OK by me.
With that, 10 random songs from my iPod:
- “Helpless” – Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
- “Fanfare for the Common Man” – Zubin Mehta & the National Philharmonic
- “Lodi” – Credence Clearwater Revival
- “Ladyflash” – The Go! Team
- “Beautiful Day” – U2
- “I Know What Boys Like” – The Waitresses
- “Mornings Eleven” – The Magic Numbers
- “Purple Haze” – The Jimi Hendrix Experience
- “Oh! Darling” – The Beatles
- “Siamese Cat” – Steve Martin & Edie Brickell
Care to comment on winter, or share your random 10 songs? Comments are open!