There were more great moments in 2013, come to think of it, though
most some of these don’t have photos to accompany the story. In no particular order:
- The surprise party that sprite threw for me in honor of my 40th birthday was too cool for words (And too amazing for me to snap a single picture). She rounded up friends from all aspects of my life to celebrate, and it was awesome.
- Riding the Alpine Loop Gran Fondo in September – and being able to ride with UCI Pro Tour cyclists like Joe Dombrowski and Ben King.
But really, it was all about enjoying the experience with my cycling friends.
- Seeing these cyclists atop Empire Pass near Park City, Utah, on a rainy day was inspiring (and made me wish I had a bike that day).
- Climbing ever higher…
- Cuddling with our cats. Corey, especially, has turned into a bit of a lap cat (though he can still terrorize the other cats and upend The Burrow).
- Sharing campfires with sprite in New Hampshire.
- Friday evenings picnicking at The Yards: a lovely place to spend an evening with good food, good drink, and good friends.
- And the beach was, as ever, relaxing.
So I suppose 2013 wasn’t the worst year, after all. Yes, there was an over-arching theme of family unease that cast a pallor over things, but it had a good number of fine moments that made me smile.