Carole’s prompt this week is “ten things I like to do outside.”
This is a tough one for me, especially as spring is finally arriving in DC. There are so many outdoor activities that I love, but I can’t do them because of… well, y’know. But I’m happy to say what I love to do in the out-of-doors, if only to remind myself why I’m doing all of the tough-as-nails physical therapy, pain and all.
- Ride my bicycle. This should be obvious: I love to ride my bike, and can’t really stand indoor riding. That said, this summer will be full of such activity.
- Ski. My first sporting love, and I’ll be back on those slopes this coming November.
- Camp. sprite and I really enjoyed camping in New Hampshire last fall, and I always like to sleep outdoors – it re-centers me.
- Picnic. My favorite Friday night activity is to gather with friends for a picnic at The Yards Park.
- Go to concerts. I love going to shows at outdoor venues, like Merriweather Post Pavilion or Wolf Trap.
- Read. Most progress I make in books is done at parks and cafÃ©s.
- Eat at cafÃ©s. DC has many wonderful cafÃ©s with outdoor seating.
- Go to the beach. And it has to be a real beach – i.e. one with ocean water and real waves for body surfing (which I won’t be able to do ’til mid-August due to my anticoagulant meds). Still: sun, surf, sand, I love it!
- Drink. A cold beer, a glass of wine or sangria, an icy daiquiri or margarita – all are wonderful and perfect for outdoor imbibing.
- Hike. I love hiking, and don’t do it often enough. And it’s something I will be able to do this summer, once the leg is strong again.
Do you have favorite things to do outdoors? Share ’em in the comments!