I turn 40 today. Frankly, it’s not a birthday that’s weighing on me like my 30th did – it’s just another day to me, this time around.
But a lot has happened to me over the past decade, and since I’m feeling a bit put out by other things in life right now, I figured it would be worth a trip back through time to see where I’ve been and what I’ve done, just as a reminder.
- Settled into DC (2003)
- Settled into Georgetown U. (2003)
- Helped two presidential campaigns (2003-04)
- Run for political office – and won (2004)
- Traveled to England and Wales (2005)
- Traveled to Austria and Germany with my mom (2007)
- Rode up Mount Shasta (2008)
- Ski trips to Colorado (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011)
- Cut off my long hair (2008)
- Traveled to France (2008)
- Rode from Boston to Windsor for a beer (2009)
- Testified in front of City Council (2009, 2011)
- Traveled to Iceland (2011)
- Chaired my favorite bike club, Potomac Pedalers (2011)
- Traveled to Louisiana (2012)
- Groomsman in two weddings (2005, 2013)
- Many concerts: Simon & Garfunkel, U2, Thomas Dolby, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Brian Wilson, Eric Clapton, Roger Waters, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Paul Simon (solo), Pink Martini, The Beach Boys, Retro Stefson, Erin McKeown, Nellie McKay, Sloan, The Pipettes, Polyphonic Spree, Elvis Costello, and many, many more
- Seeing awesome plays written by my friend, Michael
- Excellent beers, including the rebirth of brewing in DC
- Birthdays, holidays, picnics, and other random occasions hanging out with friends
So a lot of things – a lot of great things – have happened over the past decade. Yes, there have been setbacks and sadness, but the good has outweighed the bad, all in all.